• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dependent issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

themobrat

state=missouri
trying to do a friend of mine's taxes, he had a child out of wedlock and has been paying child support for several years (no arrears) the woman has 4 children total and has been collecting welfare (not working) for at least this tax year she was recently busted on a drug charge and will likely get time he has asked to claim the child but was told that the child's grandmother has already claimed her as a dependent this is a screwy situation what advice can I give my friend or is he beat before he starts?

ladyeu

Alot of issuses play a role in claiming a dependent. More information would be needed to determine if he has the right to claim the child and not the grandmother. He is not wasting his time if he has the right to claim the child. For free live tax advice you can call 1-800-275-5336 ext 0168564 available 24/7

L

loku

Basically, if your friend has provided more than half the support for the child, your friend is entitled to the exemption. To find out more details on how the IRS determines who provides the support and how much the support is, download IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax. The publication has a very good explanation of this area, including worksheets. Get the publication for free at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">