• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deduct stolen tools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

javajoe28

I live in Mass. Last year I was out of work for several months due to falling off a ladder. I was covered by workmans comp. but once I was medically cleared to go back to work my company had no work. They told me to start collecting unemployment, I went to work to pick up my tools (I am a HVAC TECH) only to find out somebody had emptied my truck of all of my tools. How can I recover from this loss ? Can I deduct the loss on my taxes ? Any suggestions welcomed thank you.

L

loku

You can deduct this if you itemize deductions. If you do itemize, deduct the loss on line 20 of Schedule A of Form 1040, as an unreimbursed employee expense. Label it as “theft of tools.”

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">