• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick child, incompetent school, need advice asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

czarr

Hello, I'm from NE Pennsylvania, and my situation is a bit complicated....

Yesterday afternoon, my six year old son got off of the school bus, covered in vomit. I immediately asked him what happened, he told me he got sick during the day at school. I asked him why he didn't go to the school nurse. He told me another student in his class asked the teacher if he could go to the nurse because he felt ill as well, but the teacher "yelled at him", stating that "the nurse is too busy right now, she is tired of kids coming into her office just because they want to go home early". My son said he was afraid to ask after that because he did not want to get yelled at too. He got sick on the bus on the way home from school.
As soon as he told me about this, I got on the phone and called the district. No one was available to speak to me immediately, so the secretary took my info and said the principle would call me back. About 15 minutes later, the principle called. I told her what happened, and what my son told me. She told me she spoke to my sons kindergarten teacher, and that the teacher said no one asked to go to the nurse at all during the day. I immediately set up an appointment to meet with the staff (meeting in today at 2PM EST).
After my conversation with the principle, I called my sister (my neice is in the same classroom as my son). I had her ask my neice if anyone else in the classroom got sick or sent to the nurse during the day. My six year old neice confirmed that yes, 2 other students in the class got sick during the day, and both asked to go to the nurse, and the teacher sent them.
I am scheduled to meet with the staff of the school this afternoon about all of this, and I plan on going there with both barrels loaded (this is not the first incident I've had with the school this year, I've been dealing with ongoing discrimination from them aimed at my 5 year old twins with disabilities).
If this doesn't get resolved today, legally, what can I do about this?

D

dorenephilpot

You probably wouldn't have a legal cause of action against the teacher because your child didn't ask to go to the bathroom and your post didn't say anything about him exhibiting obvious signs of illness in the classroom that his teacher ignored.

The fact that he threw up on himself on the bus, though unpleasant, isn't something that the school necessarily could have predicted or would be liable for.

Now, the OTHER parent -- the one whose child was actually sick in class and was told to zip it up has a big beef.

I think your meeting with the school is appropriate, and you probably will get some satisfaction out of that.

However, I believe that's probably all you can do at this point.

Let us know how it goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">