• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Personal Assets into an S Corp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jnindel

I am a small-time real estate investor. I own several properties in Washington, D.C, and Florida. All of them are condos which I rent to tenants, mostly young couples (not other businesses). I am thinking of forming a corporation and applying for S Corp status. Once I incorporate, how do I transfer my rental properties into the S corp? Each of the mortgages are in my personal name now. How do I transfer their title to the S corp? I would be doing this so as to limit my personal liability. I am assuming that an S corp is the best mechanism for this purpose. Does the S corp somehow "buy" the properties from me, or do I simply change the name of the "owner" with local taxing authorities? Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">