• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form 8606, IRA "BASIS"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twistbear

virginia..I took a distribution from traditional ira for first-time purchase of a home. this is the first time filing a form 8606..how can i declare past nondeductible contributions and figure what my cumulative past ira "basis" is??

L

loku

Most people do not make nondeductible contributions to their IRAs, so if you are like them, you have not made such contributions.

However, the rule is that if you do not report nondeductible contributions each year on Form 8606, all of the contributions to your traditional IRA will be treated as deductible. All distributions from your IRA will be taxed unless you can show, with satisfactory evidence, that nondeductible contributions were made.

So, in your case, you would have to show with satisfactory evidence, that nondeductible contributions were made. To find out what evidence the IRS wants, read the section in the Instructions to Form 8606 entitled “What Records Must I Keep ((page 5 of the Instructions to Form 8606).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">