• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tape recordings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carolina chick

Is it legal for teachers to use a tape recorder in conference meeting with parents without informing the parents that the recorder is being used?

C

curtisd

do you mean there are states that allow schools to tape a private conversation between parents and teachers?and for what purpose?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No, CBG means "We can't give you any specific answers because you can't follow simple instructions on this Forum."

So, he gave you a generic answer.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law will not be specific to schools - it will be a question of whether ANYONE is allowed to make a tape recording of a conversation without both parties being aware of it. Teacher/parent, employer/employee, next-door neighbor/next-door neighbor, store manager/customer, you name it. Some states say it's all right as long as one party to the conversation is aware of the recording being made; others say both parties must be aware. I personally only know the law for my own state. But at IAAL says, since you failed to provide the state where you are, no one will be able to give you any additional information.

C

curtisd

IAAL

i'm almost inclined to ask if you're aware of any state that would allow it but i won't because one,after dealing with elvis and wizard all day you may not be at your sharpest level,two,because i might be wrong and you'll let me know what an idiot i am and three because i respect your councel too much to question it-enough said

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

California allows it, as long as all principles that are present know that a recording is taking place. Also, the recording can be made without anyone's knowledge if there is no "expectation of privacy" where the recording is being made; e.g., in a public place.

IAAL

C

curtisd

now ya see what i mean-just when i thought i was hitting my stride you done come out and tripped me- i guess its back to the end of the line--next?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">