• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids in School Have No Rights !!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nc mad dad

I need help in choosing federal and state code reference numbers that apply to the validity of enforcing a public school dress code, (I could review them all, but if you've been there & done that, it sure would help save time) based on defending the following:

My daughter (7th grade) was sited for a dress code violation (skirt too short) in her middle school in North Carolina. This kid has been on the "A" Honor role since first grade, she's a Beta Club member and free tutors underprivileged kids? Go figure why they felt they had to persecute a kid like this for a skirt being 1/2" too short. I decided to check the Internet for info on the subject and build a defense for her. WOW, I can't believe what I found !!! She has none of the Constitutional rights she needs to protect herself!!!

In an attempt to provide safe environment schools, the federal government has allowed local government to ignore the 14th amendment on the right to due process and the 1st amendment right to free speech and expression. Lots of people have tested the law and lost !!! Even the Supreme Court is siding with the schools on the issue. This means the Principle becomes judge, jury and warden !!! How many Principles do you know with judicial training, that's SCARY !!! Even worse, the Fed's are giving a pay bonus to the people who enforce the Zero Tolerance Program "1 strike your out, no excuses accepted."

This makes your kids principle no better than a Nazi SS agent, they enforce rules that go against the Constitution, for money, and then teach your kids about their Constitutional Rights.

It seems all this started with the rash of school shootings and they seem to think they can quell it by removing the rights of all school children and turning them into little conformists.
" The thing about government programs that don't work, is that they spawn more bad programs in a vain attempt to make them work" (unknown)
What's next, prison uniforms for our kids? Stand up AMERICA, be counted, let them know they can't do this to our kids without a struggle !!!!

"Those that would give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

Funny how Franklin knew people like this would rear their ugly heads in our future !!

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
NC MAD DAD

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nc mad dad said:
My daughter (7th grade) was sited for a dress code violation (skirt too short) in her middle school in North Carolina. This kid has been on the "A" Honor role since first grade, she's a Beta Club member
My response:

You know, Dad, you're spouting off all of this Constitutional crap, and you're talking about your daughter - - a 7th grader with a short skirt !

Hello !

She's just reaching, or going through, puberty and, at least someone is trying to instill some moral character in your daughter - - something YOU ought to be doing !

Forget about the law, for just a moment - - and start thinking about the stage of life your daughter is in, and with boys around that have their own hormones raging.

Just what the hell is the matter with you, anyway ?

Are you, in some way, related to Johnny Wizard ?

IAAL

Last edited:
N

nc mad dad

THIS WAS A LOST CAUSE REQUEST!

To: I AM ALWAYS LIABLE,
You guys shouldn't be lawyers....you should be comedians. Your the best joke I've heard all day. If you can't jump on someone about not reading the "RED" you leap at any thing else and avoid the main reason people come here.....they're "desperate" for help!! How's it feel to jump on someone when their already down? Boosting that ego at every chance these days, huh? Stuff it where the sun don't shine!

I kept the darn thing as brief as I possibly (read the red idiot)could, to covey the message without filling up a hard disk. What I left out was that the dress was a "skort"; a dress with shorts underneath, something like a tennis dress. The school administrators made the same mistake .....they never bothered to ask...they assumed....they itimidated with power....they judged...and they sentenced without due process!!! The shorts under the dress met the dress code standard of mid-thigh. Apparently you don't know what the Zero Tollerance Policy is. If they make a mistake, it's a "so what" answer. You have no recourse.

The due process is the point here, and if you didn't see that, you need to be collecting garbage for a living, or out judging teen beauty pageants because that's where your mind went. From the dump to Pervert alley!!

Your saying if I lower my kids dress 1/2" I regain all moral character, 1/2", do you know how small of a difference that is, well of course you do, you've looked between your legs before.

PS: Your also saying if I didn't have the moral character to make my daughters dress more acceptable to "your" standards, that it's ok to remove her Constitutional rights? Where did you go to law school, Afghanistan? Your thinking exactly like the idots passing these laws, are you sure your not a legislator?

self reminder: Call Cornell Law and tell them to check their links, because this ones a dud.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You really are an idiot.

Take a look into your daughter's eyes, Dad. You're looking at a future rape victim. And, she'll have you to thank.

But, you keep on with your Constitutional crap when it comes to a 7th grader.

IAAL

HomeGuru

So what if it's a skort, boys will still snort.
Too much legs showing even if panties can't be seen.

M

Marketing Girl

nc mad dad you definitely have a point. The issue here is not whether the skort is too short, the right length or somewhere in between. The issue is that our children in the public school system have no rights!

I am currently fighting the school system myself. My son is in Midde School also. He has been falsely accused by an administrator of some very serious offenses (sexual harrassment, bullying, physical harrassment, etc). Was suspended from school and placed in the alternative school for the remainder of the year. My son and I have been refused information regarding these charges, we have been refused any specifics of the alledged allegations, who supposedly has accused him of these incidents, who he supposedly committed these against, when they occurred, nothing. I have been called by other parents advising me that the administrator has called many students into the office with a policeman present telling the children they know who did these things and trying to get the children to say my son was guilty.

Now I believe that if my son has done these things, he should be punished, but at the same time they should be required to have proof and give you the opportunity to show your innocence. If not, anyone could accuse your child of anything just because they do not like them, we are talking about 12 - 14 year olds.

My son has been searched, drug tested and humiliated. I feel they have tried everything to find something against my son, because the administrator does not like him. The administrators have found nothing, he does not do drugs, has never been in a fight, but yet the school does not have to show that he actually committed these offenses, they have just said sorry, your suspended. This will remain with my son throughout his school years (it will be on his school records), I am sure including college. He has made plans for college with hopes of obtaining a football scholarship. I feel this incident will greatly weigh on his ability to succeed in his future goals, especially the scholarship.

I do not believe in school violence and do not believe children should have weapons or drugs, but I think they have carried this thing to the extreme. I myself have done a lot of research since this has happened and it is a shame that children cannot be children. One article read that a 6 year old boy had been suspended for holding a chicken finger in his hand and saying Pow! Give me a break, he was 6, they cannot even play cowboys anymore.

Check out the Center for Individual Rights website, they have some interesting information and case law.

Whether it be the length of a skirt or more serious matters, our children deserve the rights that every adult would have. I believe that if the school systems don't start using common sense, they are going to be slammed with lawsuits. We need safe schools, but our children also need fair and just treatment, if not what are we teaching the youth of today?

I am sure that the other responders, had it been one of their children, they would not have reacted in such a manner.

This is America! Not Afghanistan.

G

gzaldivar

marketing girl

you might want to check whether the high school in your county send transcripts to the colleges that include middle school records. normally they do not. but it is important that you check and keep fighting to get that suspension removed from his record if they do!!

good luck!!

M

Marketing Girl

Kids in School Have No Rights

Thanks Gzaldivar. I will keep trying!

And for nc mad dad the website for the Center on Individual Rights' website is [email protected].

bambi66

nc mad dad - this issue came up at my daughters middle school. one parent got mad (she was called for a second time on her daughter's shorts being 1/2" too short) and went to the school to take her a pair of jeans and stayed long enough to watch the kids change classes. during the watching process, she notices a number of other girls with shorts on that were shorter than her daughter's, so she asked one of the office workers to pull in this kid and that kid. she then compared her daughter's shorts to the others and asked, "are you going to call these girl's parents as well?" there answer was, "NO!" Her comment, "i will be leaving and my daughter will keep her shorts on and i don't want to be called in here again for this issue. unless you apply the dress code to all students." what about the boys whose pants hang down so far that their boxers show? what about the teachers that wear low cut blouses that show clevage? just some issues you may want to point out to the school.

E

Elvis

MAD DAD -
What the hell are you talking about?

Why do you suppose they enforce these rules? Do you think the school wants additional rules, dress codes?

The dress code is there to maintain a better learning environment - Rather than being a poor role model for your daughter, why wouldn't you simply abide by the code? If your daughter enters the working world, she may find that many/most employers have dress codes to maintain a professional environment -

Why don't you try to teach your kid about rules rather than trying to make a big issue about it?

N

ncmommy

Ya know, my daughter is in 7th grade too and has to abide the same dress code your are talking about in NC. I find it refreshing to know that it settles many an arguement for me when we go shopping. All I have to say is "Honey you know that isnt allowed at school and you have to follow the rules". My daughter is straight A and AG and a cheerleader to boot. I am glad myself that she isnt walking around like some hootchie. I mean right now the dress code has to be in place because HELLO have you seen any of the MTV videos lately and what kids consider to be "cool"? If I were you i would worry more about the rights your children have against abuse by a school employee. You know my son was sexually assaulted at school and the teacher and principal knew it. They did nothing, and allowed it to continue. I cannot get them to press charges because of a little knownloophole stating NC school employees are expempt from child abuse charges. Maybe you should worry more about that then a dress code. Tell you daughter to pick clothes she can wear, and stop wasting money on things that are bought for no other reason then to shock people. I have news for you, it isnt shocking. It just looks trashy.

S

sirhibernac

WOW!

WOW! NC actually put in a law that says that a teacher can sexually abuse a student and not be liable for it? Boy doesn't that open then door for sick individuals to commit heinous acts of sex with minors. What a sorry state of morals our voted leaders and law makers have truly represented us with.

T

totallybroke

I see both sides...but,

Don't get me wrong I am not taking sides here, I can see mad dad's point as well as the other people who have posted here.

Why can't we have fair treatment and rights FOR ALL students,
if the length of a skirt is so important in most schools, do the cheerleaders follow that same dresscode? I haven't measured them but most cheerleading skirts look like they would be well above the acceptable length.

G

greenjeans

I think you also need to look at why there is a dress code.. it's an equalizer. It allows no one to be better or worse than anyone else. That is why uniforms are popular with school administrators. Everyone looks the same, everyone is treated the same and not judged by looks or social status... but EVERYONE has to follow the dress code, no exceptions. If the school has a dress code you must follow the dress code. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">