• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependent of not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GingerLV

I am 19 years and a full time student. In March of 2001 I was married to an illegal immigrant from Mexico. He just recently became "officially" legal in January 2002 under 245I when he received a work permit. Am I still elligible to be claimed as a dependent by my parents even though I wasn't married until March, and my husband was not legally able to be in the United states?

L

loku

If your parents provided more than half your support for the year, they can claim you as a dependent unless you file a joint return with your husband. And they can claim you even if you do file a joint return if the only reason for filing the return is to claim a refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">