• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gumshine

Hello...I have been contacted by the IRS for tax year 1988. They say that I owe over 10,000.00 dollars and I don't have any recipts to prove to them that I don't........Help!! California:(

vrzirn

Don"t you mean 1998?
If they put a dollar amount down then they usually tell you on which schedule you owe.

vrzirn

The SOL is 3 years UNLESS they allege fraud! Better run to your tax advisor and let him handle it.
If there are no specifics in the letter you could call them and ask ,"What the hell!!?" They say they are kindlier and friendlier.

Last edited:
G

gumshine

back taxes

I did go to the irs 2 weeks ago, and they said that i was audited but did not recieve anything from them. So they had me send away for the audit report, but told me that i would need recipts to prove the deductions on the tax return...and I don't keep anything back that far.....so i guess i am s.o.l. They put a hold on my account intil april and then they are going to go to my employer and my husbands plus bank accounts. can't afford and attorney, live pay check to pay check. :( Thanks for your replys:)

P

PoohBear8

tax payer advocate

check in to getting a tax payer advocate. go to the irs website www.irs.gov/ then under the contents column (on the left), click on "tax professionals", at the next screen, look under "resources" and click on "taxpayer advocate".
i had to use an advocate because the company that did my taxes completely botched them, and it was supposed to be a supervisor who did them. anyway, i contacted an advocate and he was extremely helpful and we got everything cleared up.
good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">