• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exemptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjadenl

I live and work in CA. I just became employed with a new company and claimed 15 exemtions on my w-4 and 17 on my CA State tax certificate.

My employer told they are going to report me to the IRS and reduce my exemptions to 1 on both forms unless I claim below 10 on both by this Friday. Can they legally do this? What business is it of theirs?

J

justathought

I'm not a lawyer, but I work in a payroll office--so here's my random guess.

It is a requirement that payroll reports any allowances over ten to the IRS for review. Either a) they have already reported your "over ten" allowances to the IRS and the IRS said no or b) they don't feel like doing the paperwork to send in the "over ten" to the IRS.

Or, are you a citizen? Foreign nationals are pretty strict on what can or cannot be claimed.

Hope this helps somewhat. (It's kind of early and coffee hasn't kicked in yet.) ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">