• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partner in new corporation, left old company in october

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stengal

I worked for an agency in New York in the field of Court Reporting. I left there in October of 2001 because of
commuting problems after Sept 11th into the City from
New Jersey. Recently I was offered a partnership in a
new reporting agency which is a corporation. I wanted
to know if my old company can take any legal steps to
keep me from becoming a partner since this new agency
has since taken on some of their clients. There was nothing signed between myself or the old company, but one of the
new partners also worked for them in the past. There was
no signed contracts between these law firms and the old
agency. Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:

L

loku

It is conceivable that the new company has taken employees and clients from the old company in such quantity and in such a way that the old company would be entitled to some legal action, which could affect you, but such suits are fairly rare, and the situation would have to be fairly extreme, so that it is unlikely the old company has any rights against you or the new company.

However, to be sure about this, you should contact an attorney in your state, and explain all the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">