• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatened with Prosecution for absences

• Thread starter frustratedmomof
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frustratedmomof

I received a very nasty note from my child's school today. It says that I am in violation of the Delaware Code, Title 14, Chapter 27 because my son has missed 15 days of school this year for unexcused absences. I have to attend a mandatory conference, and that I can be prosecuted. Well, he has missed that many days, but only due to illness. I ALWAYS write a note explaining them, and he is doing well in school. So what mandates an excused verse an unexcused absence, and do I have to put up with such harsh words and threats? Please help! We are good parents, and love our child. Thank you.

D

dorenephilpot

Various states have laws that mandate parents to get their children to school. It sounds like your state is one of them.

Obviously, if you have medical excuses, those can be used to rebut the evidence that you are guilty of a criminal act for not having your child in school.

Since the letter is from the school, you're not in trouble w/the prosecutor yet.

If you get a summons from a court, however, you need to deal with the issue in court.

vrzirn

It does not appear to be "harsh words and threats". They are merely informing you of a statute and consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">