• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local newspaper won't allow me to advertise

• Thread starter smallbusinessow
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smallbusinessow

I own a small business in a metropolitan area of California. I attempted to place an advertisement with the local newspaper and they refused stating that I am in direct Competition with their company (we offer free classified listings). Isn't their a law stating that since they are our areas largest and primary newspaper that they can not refuse service? They have bought out all of the Competition in our area so without the ability to advertise with them my only other means would be to advertise at a higher rate on television.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

smallbusinessow said:
I own a small business in a metropolitan area of California. I attempted to place an advertisement with the local newspaper and they refused stating that I am in direct Competition with their company (we offer free classified listings). Isn't their a law stating that since they are our areas largest and primary newspaper that they can not refuse service? They have bought out all of the Competition in our area so without the ability to advertise with them my only other means would be to advertise at a higher rate on television.
My response:

There is no law, in California, that requires, forces, or mandates, that a newspaper take advertising from anyone. In fact, they aren't required to advertise at all, if they don't want to.

A newspaper is just like any other business - - they are lawfully able to accept or reject any customer they choose. Have you ever seen a sign in front of a restaurant that says, "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" ?

If you put your mind to it, I'll bet you can come up with many other ways of advertising.

IAAL

Last edited:
A

Ashes

A newspaper is just like any other business - - they are lawfully able to accept or reject any customer they choose. Have you ever seen a sign in front of a restaurant that says, "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" ?
I was wondering...what is the legal basis (the specific laws involved) behind the right of a business to reject any customer they choose? Also, what are the exceptions to this right?

-Ashes

H

hexeliebe

There is no law, statute or Federal Regulation against it.

that's simple enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">