• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wash sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tonu

Last year 2000, I had a wash sale that I could not claim for a loss. Can I carry over that wash loss to this year 2001 to claim loss?
Thanks. :confused:

L

loku

You can not carry over the loss from a wash sale. That loss is not deductible; however, a substituted basis applies to the new stock or securities acquired in a wash sale. If the amount of the new securities is exactly equal to the amount of securities on which the wash sale rules disallowed a loss, the basis for the new securities is the same as for the old securities, increased or decreased by the difference between the selling price of the old securities and the acquisition price of the new, identical securities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">