• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5th and 14th amendment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

obscure

Looking for very similar case law. I was a 17 year law enforcement veteran. I became part of an investigation only described as an investigation into a criminal investigation being compromised. I was neither mirandized nor read any form of garrity. I invoked my 5th and was told then that I was suspended until I returned with an attorney. I was not told if it was with or without pay. I was never given written notice as to the nature of the investigation, nor evidence, nor any direct suspected involvement on my part. Despite attempts to call and get clarification on my status of suspension, pay or not. They refused to answer my questions. I read later in the local newspaper I was suspended without pay. Approximately a month later I read in the newspaper that I had been terminated. I still had not received any form of notification from my employer of the termination or any other information surrounding the details of the investigation. I did receive a copy of a letter from and submitted to the unemployment division stating that I was terminated for failure to comply with a criminal investigation.I cannot find any case law where an officer was terminated for failure to wave his 5th amendment right, thus wondering if I'm the first idiot in the country to do so, or they are the first employer to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">