• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CDs affect 2001 Income Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kychic

My grandfather died last July and left certificates of deposit payable on death to me and my sister. Is there some way this has to be reported to government or taxes has to be paid on this. Does this affect my income tax and if so how and what forms need to be completed? I've been told this does not affect my income taxes and there is no inheritance tax in state of KY. I just want to be sure I am doing things correctly. Thanks for any help.

L

loku

There is no income tax on inherited property, so you do not have to report this on your income tax, except that the interest you earned on the CDs during the year would be taxable.

If there was federal estate tax due, that would be a liability of the estate itself. If the estate was valued at less than $675,000, there would be no federal estate tax due, and no estate tax return would be required. If the estate was valued at more than that, a federal estate tax return is required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">