• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inequality among rule changes in high school sports.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

svxc

I am a high school track coach in NC. Over the last 3 years my school and one other have moved up from mediocrity to becoming the two finer programs in our area.

Starting three years ago, there began a series of proposed rule changes that would level the playing field by forcing decrease the quality of our teams. While it is certainly within the county director's right to implement rule changes that he feels insure the safety and continued develpoment of student-athletes, the beneficiary of such policy changes will be the school in which he is the current athletic director.

These rule changes were not needed in years past when they would have hurt his school's program. Nonetheless, a coaches' meeting is always held at the beginning of a season to hear from those who understand this sport the most. In the past, we, the coaches, have been told that our opinion did not matter (even when we have voted unanimously on matters). This season, he did not even attend this meeting. The Coaches voted unanimously for a new schedule to be considered which would allow all schools to have an opportunity to run an equal number of times at the higher grade facilities. The schedule was never even considered. The school which will run at the top facilities the most... of course, his.

On thursday night, halfway through a track meet, the coach from this particular athletic director's school informed me that there would be a limit on how many students we could put in events and that he was supposed to inform us of this before the meet started. This change would not have hurt his team, only the two programs that are currently flourishing, who were both present. It is not in the rule book, so all other coaches disregarded the "suggestion" of such a rule and continued on with the meet.

knowing the past, i am sure that this week i will receive a memo from the a.d. of that school informing me of this in writing. I want to call for a launching of an investigation as to the motive of such rule changes. Also, my job will be threatened if i express concern of such events to the superintendent and board of education. This intimidation and manipulation must stop. Advice from any attorneys would be greatly appreciated.

vrzirn

This is the real world. "Rank hath it's privileges".
A H.S. track coach is easily dispensable. You like your job, keep quiet and work within the system. All you will achieve is a reputation as a trouble-maker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">