• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K Tax Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JessicaInMd

Maryland - In November 2000, I took a $3000.00 loan from my 401K account. My financial adviser was supposed to set up an additional payroll deduction to repay the loan. The additional payroll deduction was instituted, but I just recently found out that the deduction is being lumped in with my pre-existing 401K deduction and is not going towards paying back the loan.

I had already filed my 2001 tax return and received my refund when I became aware of this situation. I know that I must pay taxes on the $3000.00, but what should I do since I have already filed?

L

loku

I would suggest you talk to your employer and have him or her go through the procedure of correcting this error. If they can correct it, there will be no tax to you. If not, they should be liable to you for any tax you must pay as a result of their error.

If you do not want to talk to your employer about this, or if the employer does not agree to work on it, then you can contact the IRS, tell them the story, and see if they can allow you to treat the loan as if you had been paying it off quarterly. If not, they will bill you or you can file an amended return to show the income. An amended return is filed on form 1040X, which you can download at the IRS site at: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">