• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can they convict someone when the other person doesn't press charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rajhacat

I live in the state of Illinois. My sister and I had a domestic dispute in our home. She called the police because I threw a clock at her. My sister told the police that she didn't want to press charges and all she wanted them to do was calm us both down and write up the incident as a sister fight. The police took me to jail and sent me to County jail for over 24 hours and gave me a bond hearing. When I went to court, they told me that I now have to go through a jury trail because of this. I thought that if the police officer and the person in which I assaulted did not show, the case would be dismissed. Is there anything I can do when I go to trail to be sure that the charges will be dropped? I've never been in trouble and this sounds really rediculous to me. Rapest get off, but if one throws a clock they go to jail. Maybe I'm missing something, but I need some advice.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rajhacat:
I live in the state of Illinois. My sister and I had a domestic dispute in our home. She called the police because I threw a clock at her. My sister told the police that she didn't want to press charges and all she wanted them to do was calm us both down and write up the incident as a sister fight. The police took me to jail and sent me to County jail for over 24 hours and gave me a bond hearing. When I went to court, they told me that I now have to go through a jury trail because of this. I thought that if the police officer and the person in which I assaulted did not show, the case would be dismissed. Is there anything I can do when I go to trail to be sure that the charges will be dropped? I've never been in trouble and this sounds really rediculous to me. Rapest get off, but if one throws a clock they go to jail. Maybe I'm missing something, but I need some advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hire a private attorney or ask for a public defender. There have been numerous domestic cases prosecuted even when the accuser refuses to testify. The prosecuting attorneys just use the evidence such as physical injuries due to spouse/child abuse and testimony from medical experts. A battered baby can not testify so the physical evidence and the medical experts must speak on her/his behalf.
Next time think twice about throwing anything for the judge and jury may throw the book at you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">