• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mip in ohio at a phish show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phatty

I am from Michigan. I was at a phish (musical group) show in ohio near columbus. There were a lot of under cover police there and I was holding a partially full bud light, and had a full bud light in my pocket. they did not see me drink from the can but they saw me possesing alcohol and asked my age. I told them I was 18 (truth) and they handcuffed me and took me to their headquarters(post) in the parking lot at the show. They did not ask if I had been consuming alc., give me a sobriety test or a breathalizer. I tried talking to them cause I have never been in trouble before, and they told me not to talk unless spoken to otherwise they could be real pricks and assholes to me, so I shut up. They then proceeded to search my clothing. I had a smoking pipe that I had just purchased and had not been used for anything, it was clean with no hint of being used. One of the officers said "you lucked out, you haven't used it yet" and held on to it for several minutes. I then asked him if I could have it back sayng I was of legal age to smoke tobacco and thats what I was going to use it for. He then replied saying "you want to start lieing we can start being pricks" then he said " I can give this back to you, but then we will take you to jail because in ohio it violates some law(i don't remember the law name). So I said O.k. and he kept it.
Then another cop came and started writing out my ticket. After he was done he uncuffed me. My ticket charged me with consumption and possession of alcohol(being a minor). I was not drunk and I asked him to talk to someone in charge of the operation. I then talked to the guy in charge and he took down my name and said he couldn't do anythig about the ticket but he would talk to the prosecuter and have him se what he could do.
then I went and watched the show. They said I have to trvle back to ohio to take care of the matter.
Any comments? Advice?
No where on the ticket was there any mention of my pipe or a charge for it. It was legal, no resin of drugs, really what happened is they stole a personal belonging that was perfactly legal( in MI anyways)

C

Colt

Broke the law didn't ya? :p Got busted huh? :p Ain't smart enough to not to mouth off to cops? You got off light. Pay your fine and consider it a cheap lesson.

T

Tracey

They got you dead to rights on possession. They'll also get a conviction on consumption -- a 1/2-empty can & another in your pocket. They could have charged you with possession of drug paraphernalia, which would have screwed up your life for years even if you were never convicted. They could have arrested you and REMOVED YOU FROM THE CONCERT, which is what they do at the Gorge in Washington. Isn't losing the $5 you paid for the pipe worth getting to see the show & not having the drug arrest on your record?

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">