• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI or Entrapment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

Quty1103

in blair county, pa. a cop car sits in the alley adjacent to a bar's parking lot every sun. night a band plays. the police had straight view of my vehicle, watched me leave the bar, intoxicated, and get in the vehicle, without trying to stop me. they pulled down the road and stopped in the middle even though they had no stop sign. i stopped at my stop sign and the police waved me out in front of them. they followed my vehicle for about 1 mile away from the bar before pulling me over. they arrested me, handcuffed, photographed, and blood tested me, but never read me my rights. i have a clean record both for driving and criminal. is this considered entrapment on the police's part. should i fight this?

TYRIS

no. entrapment is when the police use a ploy to get the average citizen to commit a crime when they normally would not. no one forced you to drive while intoxicated. from your post, you obviously saw the police car parked there. why did you drive?? and of course they allowed you to drive in front of them, they wanted to get driving indicators that you were dui (i would). you have no rights per miranda when it comes to a dui.

you played the game, you lost, next customer.

TYRIS

H

Humble Warrior

I too am from Pa(Harrisburg). On a "technical level" you have a shot of getting out of it.
The police in our state are to "Protect & Serve" in that order.
You first must prove beyond doubt, that they saw you in an intoxicated state, and let you behind the wheel. If this can be proven,you win......because they did not "protect" you, from yourself, or others on the road.
This much different than entrapment,and is hard to prove. Not to mention that, in an indirect way, you are accusing them of "deriliction of duty"(spelling?)
For example: In Pa, a State Trooper cannot arrest you if he/she is not wearing their hat(smokie the bear hat), but lets see you prove they weren't!!
This is why if you were dumb enough to fight with a statie,and he/she loses their hat in the scuffle, thay have another officer actually read you your rights,and stick your dumb ass in the car. Because the Trooper didnt have his/her hat on at the time. Its a stupid law......but then most laws in this state are stupid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">