• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Send police records to employer?

• Thread starter Not a ccommon question
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Not a ccommon question

I am considering sending someone's police records and related documents to their employer. I believe the company has the right to know what kind of people they are employing, and the potential credibility risk that the person poses to the company. Whether the employee retains their position or not, and whether their termination would make me sad are irrelevant. My question is...assuming that the police records and documents I send are accurate, and represent true events, how much exposure to criminal or civil law am I risking? What determines if my sending the documents to an employer is actionable by the affected person, and if appropriate where do I have to stop short of to keep myself from incurring legal exposure? Please reply directly to [email protected] instead of or in addition to this forum, as I cannot check the forum all the time. Sincerely,

Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow
Los Angeles, CA

T

Tracey

If you obtain the records legally, you can send them to anyone you like. If the general public is not allowed access to the records, you'll probably get sued by someone & maybe fired for accessing records you weren't supposed to. Send the records anonymously & wear gloves. If you know or should know that the records are inaccurate or misleading, you may be liable for libel, interference with business prospects, dissemination of damaging character information (even if it's true!).

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">