• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal expenses for disability appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DanG

I am a physician in Florida. I have a personal disability policy and did not use the premiums as tax deductions. I became disabled and the disability income was tax free because of how I had paid my premiums. Now my benefits have been terminated and I have legal expenses involved in appealing the insurance company's decision to terminate. Are these legal expenses tax deductible? If they are and I use them as deductions, will that affect the disability income I receive if I win the appeal? i.e. will the disability income's tax deductible status be affected if I deduct legal expenses from the appeal? Thanks for any help!

L

loku

You can deduct legal expenses that you incur in attempting to produce or collect taxable income. Since your disability income is not taxable, legal expenses connected with it are not deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">