• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I Testify?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahutchGA

Good morning. About a month ago, a man approached me while I was working overnight for a large retail store. He asked me what the company's sexual harassment policy was. Upon further conversation with this guy (because how often do you get asked that by a customer?), I found out he was the jilted lover of one of the store's managers. After making a scene about this woman, he was asked to leave by security. In the weeks that followed, he repeatedly called her at home and work, came to the store, called her bosses, and yesterday slashed the tires of her truck. She has since obtained a temporary restraining order against this guy but needs to have a hearing to get him put away on charges. She has asked me to testify since he had an extensive conversation with me.
My questions: 1)should I testify? If I do, I'm scared he could eventually get out of jail and come after me. He could also endanger my family. His thinking could be, "If it wasn't for her, Manager would have eventually come back to me."
But if I DON'T, and he eventually kills her, I will always wonder if my testimony could have made a difference.
2) Could the big boss of the store fire me if I testify on this manager's behalf?
By the way, this all takes place in Georgia.
Thanks.

D

dsut

ahutch, I guess that depends on what you want. I would say that you should discuss this with the manager involved and with the prosecuting attorney. Voice your concerns. As for your employer possibly firing you, I seriously doubt it. The would be no basis for firing you. Not on that, at least.

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

[This message has been edited by m martin (edited July 31, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">