• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deductions for self-empoyed small business owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vivianthornhill

I am filing a Schedule C for my small home business in Washington State. I paid my 17 yr old daughter $1200 during 2001 for helping me out. I did not apply for an EIN # because I did not consider her an employee at that time. Can I still deduct her wages as an expense?

L

loku

If you gave your daughter $1,200 as a gift in appreciation for her help, you can not deduct it as a business expense. Also, in that case, there would have been no requirement that you get an EIN and file the employment tax forms (although there probably would have been no requirement to withhold income tax, and there is no withholding of SS and Medicare when a child under 18 works for a parent in a sole proprietorship). So if you do deduct the amount as wages, you will have to file the proper employment tax forms, even if no money is due. For details, see IRS Publication 15, Employer’s Tax Guide, which you can download for free at the IRS site at: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html

If she was an independent contractor, then you could deduct the $1,200 as a business expense.
See Pub. 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide, which you can download at the above site, for more information on how to determine whether an individual providing services is an independent contractor or an employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">