• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally, what can I do? Press charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ChrissysMom

Hi everyone

I was hoping some of you could help me out here. There is a person, whom I got into a little spat with one of her friends, well, this person took pictures of me off of my webpage and made 2 websites of "me" stating where I lived and she doctored up my pictures to make me all bloody and took one picture of me and made an animated file out of it (it was a pic of me shooting myself in the chest w/blood splattering everywhere)

She made it known to several people about this webpage and on this webpage, she gave links to where you could find personal info about me (whowhere.com) and put my email on there, my ISP and their link as well.

I guess what troubles me the most is the part about my shooting myself, etc and her words under that picture were *she'll get hers*

Well, I emailed the Web Host (a free web hosting place) and they gave me the IP info, etc and I know exactly who it is.

Now my ? is, could I press charges against this person? Or should I just chalk it up to immaturity and ignore this person?

Thanks to any of you who can help me out.

-Julie

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChrissysMom:
Hi everyone

I was hoping some of you could help me out here. There is a person, whom I got into a little spat with one of her friends, well, this person took pictures of me off of my webpage and made 2 websites of "me" stating where I lived and she doctored up my pictures to make me all bloody and took one picture of me and made an animated file out of it (it was a pic of me shooting myself in the chest w/blood splattering everywhere)

She made it known to several people about this webpage and on this webpage, she gave links to where you could find personal info about me (whowhere.com) and put my email on there, my ISP and their link as well.

I guess what troubles me the most is the part about my shooting myself, etc and her words under that picture were *she'll get hers*

Well, I emailed the Web Host (a free web hosting place) and they gave me the IP info, etc and I know exactly who it is.

Now my ? is, could I press charges against this person? Or should I just chalk it up to immaturity and ignore this person?

Thanks to any of you who can help me out.

-Julie
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

From your description, no crime has been committed. At best, it amounts to satire, and humor or satire are protected speech.

Unfortunately, even though it may cause you some embarrassment, and because there is no crime in satirical comment or opinion, you'll have to put up with it.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

D

dsut

It may depend on the state. A high school student was sucessfully prosecuted for slander because of his controversial website. That was in Milford, Utah. I don't recall the county. It was a really big issue when it happened.

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dsut:
It may depend on the state. A high school student was sucessfully prosecuted for slander because of his controversial website. That was in Milford, Utah. I don't recall the county. It was a really big issue when it happened.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Slight correction. The kid was only arrested on June 5, 2000, and hasn't been "successfully prosecuted." The District Attorney of Utah hasn't even "charged" the kid with a crime, yet. The kid is now living in Southern California waiting for the Utah "squad" to finally realize they don't have a case. If they do charge the kid, and prosecute, you can believe the ACLU will be all over this case, helping to protect his, yours, and my rights to Freedom of Speech. Utah is just a little behind the times.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

D

dsut

Really? Wow. Last I heard was off of Fox13 News in Salt Lake City, and they said that he was found guilty. Interesting. I will have to look into that.

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">