• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nathan

I was arreseted for possesion of alcohol, but I believe it was obtained with an illegal search. I was leaving my car at a closed gas station and was going to go with my friends in their car. I had a cooler with beer in it that I took out of my car to put in my friends. I was standing outside my car with it when a cop pulled in. He got out and asked me what was in the cooler. I said nothing. He asked again with the same answer. He then went over to the cooler which I had placed on the ground and opened it without my permission. He then arrested me, with that alcohol being the only evidence. Was it obtained illegally and can I get off the charges?

Thanks for your time,
Nate

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I would imagine you could argue your way out of this one. They were in a cooler so it was not like it was an open container.

Only problem here is it was in plain view at a public area. He could ask you questions, but you do not have to answer them. He may try to say your silence gave him reasonable suspicion to search -- but he could most likely only search you for weapons, etc. not the cooler.

I say fight this one. Get a lawyer to fight the principal that he had no reasonable suspicion and no probable cause. Without any of these, he committed a 4th amendment violation and was required to have a search warrant before he could search and seize (if at all).

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">