• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past Lover Forged Name on Student Loan In WI

• Thread starter Looking for direction
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Looking for direction

A past love who i lived with put me down as a co-signer on a student loan, she then signed my name. I let the loan company know four months after it happened, I wrote them a letter. After they received the letter they contacted her and she informed me that she was going to be paying the loan and that I would not have to worry about it. She stopped making payments in March of this year and now the loan is in default. They are now coming after me. Since the time I wrote them the letter any contact I had with the loan company I told them that I never signed anything. Now they have sent me a fraud packet, I have a problem signing the affidative of forgery because the check from the loan company went through my checking account. My Lover did not have there own checking account. And any of the monies was dispersed by me according to what she needed. I went to file a police report on this matter (loan company say's I have to). In talking to the detective he tells me I should not file the forgery claim but talk to the loan company and see how much they are willing to settle for. They loan was originaly for $4700 but now it is up to $7400. Should I still file the forgery cliam?? Or do I have a criminal complaint? I don't know how to proceed. If I talk to the loan company about settleing this debt it looks like I a guilty. I feel I am only guilty of being taken advantage of , not for the loan. Lover right now is no where to be found. What should my next move be?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information,not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, problem here was it was a checking account in your name. So you are not telling the whole story. If "monies" were dispersed by you, didn't you know you were sending to loan company, weren't you suspicious.

You can file a forgery claim, but the fact it went through your checking account doesn't help (although it is still forgery!).

File the complaint and bring a civil suit against her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">