• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locked up in mississippi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sb_99

I was arrested for possesion of beer in a dry county and charged with public drunk about a week ago. I was put in jail for four hours along with eight of my friends. They did a full search, strip search and everything, just for a little beer. They did not give us any sobriety tests or anything. I want to know if that is right, can you be chaged with public drunk without being tested?

J

Jason Bentley

Yes, the officer can say you smelled of intoxicating liquors and seemed to be a danger to yourself or others. Public drunkNESS is a minor misdemeanor ticket just pay it and forget about it. Are you drunk now? ;-) :D

J

Jason Bentley

Yes, the officer can say you smelled of intoxicating liquors and seemed to be a danger to yourself or others. Public drunkenNESS is a minor misdemeanor ticket just pay it and forget about it. Are you drunk now? ;-) :D

S

sb_99

what should i expect in court?

The lady at the justice court said that we had to go to court on our court date. I thought that you could just pay the fine before the court date and get on with it. Which is correct? Also we were on private land, so how can they say that we were publicly drunk? Does anybody know what the max. or min. fines are in MS? I have heard everything from 50 to 500 dollars.

H

Humble Warrior

I dont know about MS......but if you were on PRIVATE land,and you did not give the officer PERMISSION to search you or your possesions w/o a warrent......there is no charge.
He technically violated your civil rights. Unless another person called saying you were raising some kind og hell(loud music ,ect.)Then he/she had cause to enter and protect civility.
Town ordinance usually provides for this action.
"Public Drunk" is usually defined as being in any place of public view,or where the public may view you in a drunken state.....In other words,if you pass out on your own back-yard.....your still guilty as long as someone can see you passed out.
How do they know your passed out from booze? Simple.........when they see you nude, and a dog is screwing you in your yard.....THAT is a PD. charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">