• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations as it relates to grades and reevaluation from 23 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katdebaca

I am in school full time after a 23 year gap. When I last registered for a class, it was in 1979, during an abusive marriage which prevented me from attending after 1 class. The result was a "D" and an "F", bringing my gpa to a 1.85. Without these grades, my gpa would be a 2.9. The junior college I am now attending full-time, and needing full financial aid, is telling me that I am on aid warning because of my gpa. I did not attend last semester. As I indicated, my last semester was 1-79, with extenuating circumstances. Do I have any recourse? Does the statute of limitations help me? Any suggestions??
Please help!!!!!:(

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You aren't seriously suggesting that after a certain length of time bad grades have to be removed from your record, are you?

K

katdebaca

kat[/COLOR
:p Absolutely not. Tell me what you know about re-evaluation; extenuating circumstances as it relates to the ability to withdraw before a letter grade is assigned. Any impact on financial aid?
I left The Fortune 500 world to go back to school full-time, after my daughter fractured her skull at school and underwent emergency brain surgery.

Annnnyy way---,

just trying to clear the road.

Thanks,
kat

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you felt that the grade needed to be adjusted, the time to deal with it was 1979. You can't go back after over twenty years and ask for a grade adjustment claiming extenuating circumstances.

K

katdebaca

I was unable to even attend the class, nor withdraw from it. I was in a very abusive marrriage, and to do so, would have made the situation more volatile then it had become.:(

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand; however, the time to deal with it was then. You cannot wait 23 years and then ask to have the grade adjusted or removed. You can explain the circumstances to the college you are now attending and hope they will understand; but your former school has NO obligation to do anything now about the grade you earned in 1979, regardless of how extenuating the circumstances were.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">