• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the college embezzling money???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

silverwulf2

I attend a State college where a room deposit fee is collected to reserve a room. At the end of the year, it is returned with the exceptions of damages "occurring to the occupants room." When we recieved our deposits back, half the money was taken for damages. After inquiring about where it went, responses of "we don't have to tell you anything" was all that was recieved. Finally, a copy was recieved of the damages assessed. On it, over $3500 worth of damages were charged to students. Some things were charged erroneously, like a "stolen sign" that was returned and no actual work/labor charges followed any set standards for pay. There was even a $100 cleaning fee charged to one floor where the administration admits it was an arbitrarily assigned number that was charged just to "teach em' a lesson." Some things were charged twice, like a double charging of multiple cleaning fees that was passed off by breaking it up by boy/girls. Plus, when the deposits were returned, there no consistancy in the amount students recieved. There were roommates who got differing amounts, and some residents of a floor where 90% of the damages occured (literally) recieved twice as much as me whose floor had no damages assigned to it!!! When asked what could be done to correct the situation, the administration says "there's nothing we can do." What do you guys think??? Is it one hell of a credable suit??? Plus, by the contracts that we signed, the students should be held accountable for their room only, not all building damages like we've been charged. If this holds true, the last 10-15 years would have been illegally assessed to students and they may have taken up to as much as $20,000 of student money they were liable for!! What do you guys think???

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverwulf2:
I attend a State college where a room deposit fee is collected to reserve a room. At the end of the year, it is returned with the exceptions of damages "occurring to the occupants room." When we recieved our deposits back, half the money was taken for damages. After inquiring about where it went, responses of "we don't have to tell you anything" was all that was recieved. Finally, a copy was recieved of the damages assessed. On it, over $3500 worth of damages were charged to students. Some things were charged erroneously, like a "stolen sign" that was returned and no actual work/labor charges followed any set standards for pay. There was even a $100 cleaning fee charged to one floor where the administration admits it was an arbitrarily assigned number that was charged just to "teach em' a lesson." Some things were charged twice, like a double charging of multiple cleaning fees that was passed off by breaking it up by boy/girls. Plus, when the deposits were returned, there no consistancy in the amount students recieved. There were roommates who got differing amounts, and some residents of a floor where 90% of the damages occured (literally) recieved twice as much as me whose floor had no damages assigned to it!!! When asked what could be done to correct the situation, the administration says "there's nothing we can do." What do you guys think??? Is it one hell of a credable suit??? Plus, by the contracts that we signed, the students should be held accountable for their room only, not all building damages like we've been charged. If this holds true, the last 10-15 years would have been illegally assessed to students and they may have taken up to as much as $20,000 of student money they were liable for!! What do you guys think???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this happened at a law school, the school would already be sued. Are you a math or accounting major? Where did the $20K figure come from? This entire scenario sounds like a school scam to me. Is the rental of the college rooms governed by the State L/T law or is the school exempt because these are dormitories conected with educational facilities?

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited August 05, 2000).]

D

dsut

Welcome to college life. While you may be right, on how this has gone on for 10-15 years maybe even longer, one issue that will certainly come up is the time limit for filing a complaint against the school. It is a state facility, and therefor ANY complaint filed against it MUST be done within a timely fashion. What the limit is depends on the state you're in.

Don't forget, you dealing with the state government. Today's version of organized crime. They can take your money from you and you can't do anything about it.

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">