• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of Speech violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adrastea1121

I am a Pennsylvanian college student. In December, I made a comment, specifically, "I tell people not to come here because I think that most RAs on campus suck ass."

They sentenced me to 1 year probation, a 1,000 word essay, and 25 hours of community service.

Does this violate my Constitutionally-given right of expression? They say no, even though I specifically used the words "I think" and "most".

They constitute it as verbal abuse.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

E

Elvis

You suck -

Why would you slam your own school? Your lucky they didn't kick you out.

A

adrastea1121

Oh, I love the school - academically.. I just dont like RAs

E

Elvis

Do you dislike all RA's or is there a few that are jerks?

If you have a legitimate issue with the RA's you'd probably have more success in working with the school gov't than committing slander.

O

obscure

first amendment

Sounds like a first amendment violation to me. You did not attack anyone personally so you shouldn't have any form of peace disturbance. Of course the school won't be thrilled about having potential students ran off, but then what are your options on fighting them, is it worth hiring an attorney for. You have no monetary damages that I see, unless somehow they can wiggle the community service as a loss, but good luck.

D

dubhloaich

Woa.

You've got to be kidding?

I'm assuming this was some sort of college tribunal and not an actual state court that did this?

Let me guess, it must be a religiously affiliated small college?

I'd transfer tomorrow. Order a copy of your official transcripts now, if they don't already have a hold. If so, get your grade reports gathered up and put in a safe place and get the hell out of there.

If it's that bad, I would think you'd want to get the heck out of there anyhow.

A

adrastea1121

Update

Thanks for all your advice. I did what I thought would be best, and although I didnt agree with the sanctions placed on me, I completed the community service and essay. I am on probation for 8 more months.

Thanks people.

V

Vincent Cosent

Is this a state run or privately run institution? Was your essay on freedom of speech? If its a state run school I would finish all my probationary work and then see about suing for 5 $ per hour times all hours spent on probationary work.ACLU might be interested. What is an RA anyway?

D

dubhloaich

Vincent,

An RA is a "Resident Assistant". Usually a grad student, sometimes just a Junior or Senior who acts as sort of part counselor, part apartment manager on a dormatory floor.

The real question is if she signed onto a code of conduct or an honor code when she enrolled. I seriously doubt a state-funded school could pull it off, but if it is a private college and she legally signed on to a binding honor code when she enrolled and it included a provision agaist defaming the school, I would image she did the right thing by taking her medicine.

But, if it were me, I'd still transfer - that is, unless I had a full scholarship. But I sure wouldn't voluntarily give that place one more dime of my or my parents money.

V

Vincent Cosent

Dubh....

I think your advice is real good to. Just kidding, but maybe he's in a military school. Certainly isn't Animal House (the movie).

J

Joseph M Austin

I am of the opinion that as long as what you said did not advocate violence,defame, or slander anyone you should be free to express your opinion as you see fit. The climate today seems to support the idea that surpressing ideas and speech is protecting everyone. I am constantly reminded that when your civil rights are abridged it never happens in one broad sweeping act. But rather in little bits at a time. Until somewhere down the line everything is restricted and then those very people who supported these changes wonder how this happened! I think you should oppose any idea that compromises our civil rights in any way. Most of all the ones that are "for our own good"

D

dubhloaich

Free Speach Zone

There was an interesting story on All Things Considered about colleges adopting so-called "Free Speech Zones" (in other words, the areas of campus outside of these zones have something less than free speech). Specifically, this story was about West Virginia University's Free Speech Zone policy.

Most of the colleges that have adopted these have immediately dropped them or modified their policy as soon as a suit has been filed.

Freedom of speech can be abused, but the responses to the abuse almost always seem to go too far. I guess it's the law of unintended consequences.

P

plifter

The constitution only protects your speech from congress. You could not be charged as a criminal for saying that. The 1st amendment does not protect you from disciplinary action from a school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">