• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Habeus Corpus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yeruba

I am trying to help someone convicted of second degree murder in Louisiana. The young lady was arrested at age 17 and sentenced to life in prison, hard labor with no chance of parole.
My first question is does the state of louisiana still permit possible parole for lifers after 20 years in jail and age 45?
Secons I would like to know if it is possible to try a writ of habeus corpus in either state of federal court for the following reasons. The sixth amendment call for a speedy trial. The defendant waited in jail for over 400 days from her date of indictment until her trial. Her attorney did not bring this up. Second the lawyer should have used diminished capacity or mitigating circumstances to reduce the sentence. She was abused as a child and then abandoned by her family. Third it was documented the victim and defendant had fought the night before and the same day of the crime. The victim threatened twice to kill defendant, which again seems to indicate manslaughter and not second degree murder. Next there may have been undue influence. The victim was eight years older then defendant and in a relationship with her. Next, the police entered the defendants apartment without a search warrant and finally the grand jury picked to hear the case was not racially mixed. Defendant was black. Most of these circumstances were not brought up in the appeal to the circuit and stat supreme court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">