• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Violent Violation of Bogus Restraining Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loricameron

When I found out that my husband was having an affair, we got into a huge argument &
he hurt me (broke glass int he kitchen & shoved me down, cutting my hands &
forearms, twisted my arm, shoved me down & crushed my glasses) && smashed the
phone so I could not call police. I filed DV charges. When he was released he
immediately filed a restraining order in retaliation (with no valid reason), even though I
had never harmed him or even threatened to harm him in any way (no violence,
intimidation, harassment, harm, etc). Then he essentially completely disappeared,
leaving me with all bills, rent, & all of our problems. I sent him some bills,a picture of
us,left a note saying I was going to divorce him on our car windshield (he took our car
& all money out of bank when he left), sent him one love letter/please come back letter
(how stupid that was, called him a total of 12 times from the time he deserted us to the
time I filed for divorce & moved out of the state,
and met with him at the public library to sign our divorce papers. I never ever ever
threatened him, intimidated him, harassed him, or harmed him any way. The only thing I
did was threaten legal action, express my anger, hurt, and dismay over what had
happened, and pleaded with him to come back. Even when I was angry, I was
ALWAYS polite & reasonable. At some point we even signed a motion to terminate
his restraining order against me, as it was obviously just an abuse of the legal system,
and there was
no need for it as I had never committed any violence or threats. Anyway, when we
went to sign the divorce papers at the library, his girlfriend followed us & called the
police. I was arrested & sent to jail ($2000 cash bail), and now face 4 counts of
violating a restraining order (criminal charges)! Any advice? This all seems so ridiculous
and such a waste of the system's time, as he should not have been granted the
restraining order anyway. He just used it as retaliation & a way to control me & to
avoid taking care of his financial obligations to his family & creditors. I
mean, he split leaving me with the kids, rent, bills, hassles, everything - and then
claimed I couldn't send him bills or contact him regarding bills, kids, or our divorce
because of the restraining order. I took
him to court, but they didn't deal with everything that needed to be dealt with. I was so
frustrated. What was I supposed to do? I didn't hurt anyone, and he is the one who
(while the restraining order was still in effect) called me non-stop for a month (all night
& day) begging me to take him back (I have the phone records)& flew across the
country to beg me to reconcile. Now, although he is the one with a record of arrests,
assaults, and DV, and although I am a completely nice, non-violent person with NO
criminal history and who was a faithful, loving wife & mother who has NEVER hurt
anyone in my life, I am being charged! Please help! Do I have any defense here? I have
little or no money, and am terrified!!!

------------------
Lori Cameron

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">