• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

students harassing teacherss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teacher9999

I am a teacher in a public high school in Maryland. I have one student who is constantly disrupting class. Students have asked me to "kick him out" more often so that they can learn and do their work. In essence, because of this one student the other students' learning is being impaired.

The problem student is constantly cursing at me, telling me I am stupid, acting out, coming in late, and being disruptive. I have sent him to the administrators (vice principals) numerous times and nothing seems to happen to him/her. The student is not a "special education" student nor does he/she have a 504 plan. Because this student is constantly being sent back to class, seemingly without punishment, I am becoming very discouraged.

What legal action could I personally take against this student and/or parent(s)? Something needs to be done with this student. The constant harassment I have received must stop.

vrzirn

Many years ago, before medical school, I was a HS teacher. I had my share of miserable, angry kids whose parents were uncooperative and arrived at meetings with a major "attitude".It was easy to see the apple had not fallen far from the tree. School administration intervention was of no lasting value and I, in desperation, resorted to lots of honey instead of vinegar.
I had many meetings, one-on-one with the student. I permitted him to talk, vent his frustrations, explain his point of view. I gave lots of praise in the classroom and made a point of talking a few minutes after every class. It took many weeks and a lot of work but very gradually things improved.
I have a low tolerance level for difficult students so it was doubly hard for me. I kept telling myself it was only until the end of the term. I suggest you try my method. When the term is over apply to medical school or teach at the college level.
Maybe there is some legal recourse that one of the lawyers will advise.
Good luck.

Last edited:
D

dorenephilpot

I think that although vrzirn's idea on its face appears to be simplistic that it's often those seemingly simplistic ideas that work best.

I say it's worth a try -- you're not happy with the status quo, so a new approach is definitely in order.

I doubt that trying his approach will make things worse -- and it might even make a difference.

Let us know how it goes. OK?

Last edited:
E

elemteach4

I can sympathize with you. Although I teach 3rd grade, believe it or not, I have some students that sound just like the one that gives you trouble. One in particular has been referred to the principal at least 13 times, but nothing seems to be done. On his 7th referral, the principal, ass't principal, the counselor, his mother and I met. The principal stated that "One more discipline slip will force us to send him to the alternative school." Hasn't happened yet!!
I also have students saying "kick him out", but it isn't that simple. You have to have backing from the administration for that to work. It is a shame that the state legislature can't see the problems in our schools and do something to fix them. Our school administrators certainly aren't doing their jobs! It is always the teacher that is blamed for the bad things that happen in our schools.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">