• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

urgent matter of state lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bevsim

I'm trying to find out where to get an attorney in the State of Pa, preferably in Pittsburgh who would be willing to take on suing the State for wrongful imprisonment. The person I'm trying to help out here has just been released from four years prison time by the issuance of a new trial by the Pa. Superior Court for ineffective counsel.
The DA is trying to get him to plea time served, which if he does, will probably release them from wrongful imprisonment, and I do believe they know this!

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You are right about what the District Attorney is trying to do! Good job!

Now, to find the attorney, specific attorney you seek, you immediately contact your state bar association by dialing 411. Once you get them, ask for lawyer referral to the specifications you want. Also, get a list of all of the top law firms in Pittsburgh. You see, these top law firms have x amount of pro bono work they must do each year (it's a tax/bar thing). Ask them, too!

Hope this helps.

B

bevsim

Thanks for your response. Believe me I've been helping this boy with his case since the beginning. You see, he is black, poor and his mother can't write letters,etc., so I am helping them out. The pro bono work was mentioned by my husband too, so I'll start calling, but the Bar Assoc. I already spoke to, and they didn't have any real useful info for me. They just wanted a fee for their services, which to me is bs.
If you could read about this case you'd fall over. This boy went to jail with no evidence against him whatsoever, just on the word of a white girl (who he was living with mind you)! They yanked him out of a college scholarship program and put him in jail. He was totally and completely RAILROADED by a slick assistant DA who was obviously trying to gain career points....and believe me, I told her off. In fact, when the girl who pressed the charges asked to DROP the charges against him, the DA intimidated her, screamed at her, and made her not drop the charges! Everything about this case reeks of *set up*, and from what I understand, Pa is known for this kind of behavior when it comes to black against white.
I only wish that someone like Barry Scheck would blow this DA away! Oh, the charges were rape and other things, but there was no evidence (like a rape kit) or anything like that either. AND the boy had over 20 witnesses in HIS favor, the girl had NONE!
Then he gets one of those *connected* attorneys from downtown who laugh and joke with the DA and make him plea, doesn't call ANY of his witnesses at trial, and just throws the boy away to prison for four years.
I am thoroughly disgusted with the performance of that attorney, he admitted on the stand in front of a judge that he did not do his job!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">