• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming child as dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oricky1110

I was divorced in 1991 and have a written agreement signed by both parties that states that we will alternatley claim our child as a deduction. 2001 is my year to claim our child, but my ex who is the custodial parent refuses to sign the waiver this year. Is she in contempt of court? I am current on my child support and I also pay the childs medical and dental insurance. All parties are Massachusetts residents.

L

loku

If your divorce decree or separation agreement went into effect after 1984 and it states you can claim the child as your dependent without regard to any condition, such as payment of support, you can attach a copy of the following pages from the decree or agreement instead of Form 8332 (the release form).
1) Cover page. (Write the other parent's social security number on this page.)
2) The page that states you can claim the child as your dependent.
3) Signature page with the other parent's signature and the date of the agreement.

Caution. If your divorce decree or separation agreement went into effect after 1984 and it states that you can claim the child as your dependent if you meet certain conditions, you must attach to your return Form 8332 or a similar statement from the custodial parent releasing the exemption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">