• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely accused of domestic abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cortb

Dear Whomever, I have been enduring a abusive relationship for the past three yrs. with two instances of being falsely accused of domestic abuse. The 1st time being two yrs. ago when a civil action was brought against me. Not taking it seriously enough I thought I could counter the false charges without a attorney. Family members of hers were brought in and lied on the stand, also she had a attorney from Legal Services that specialized in this area. I was found guilty based strictly on the allegations with no evidence. A permanent restraining order was put into effect at this time. Two months later she came back and said she wanted to be together again. Because I loved her I said I did too but there is a restraining order. She supposedly went and had it dropped by telling them she had lied becuase she was angry with me and she moved back in with me.
Now it has happened again only this time it is alittle different. She attacked me and struck me repeatetly until finally I struck back in self defense. At that point her whole attitude changed. She went from being angry and aggressive to almost overjoyed and started screaming I have you now. She went to the police and claimed I was assaulting her. Nothing happened at that point. She came back the next day and apoligized, said it was her fault and admitted that I was just defending myself. I expressed concern thinking I would go to jail but she assured me she had already been to the police and told them the truth and that she had been trying to get ahold of the county attorney to get the charges dropped. A week went by and everything seemed to be OK but one morning there was a knock at the door, two policemen were there with a warrant for my arrest. She at this point told them it had been her that had been the aggressor and that she had tried to get ahold of the county attorney to explain the situation and that she had been to the mental health clinic to get help with dealing with her anger. I went to jail. Now a restaining order had been put in effect. When I got out of jail I stupidly had my mother call her to she if she had been successful in talking with the county attorney, she then called the county attorney who advised her to call the police. I was then arrested less than one hour later for violating the restraining order.
My life has been hell since then. I was riding the bicycle one day and she had seen me and called the police, they grilled me but didn't take me to jail. I have no clothes, none of my legal paperwork, none of my belongings so the day I had to make a plea my attorney asked the assistant county attorney about arranging a time for me to get some of my belongings. She asked me when I said how about Monday after 5:00 and thats how it was left. I assumed this was when I was to get some things so Monday after I got off of work I called the police and explained that this is the time that was arranged and they were to meet at the house. When we arrived at the house we parked on the far side of the street and began to wait for the police to arrive, we did not get out of the car. I noticed that there were people running in and out of the house. The way I understood it was that there was to be nobody there, the police hadn't shown up yet so I left went to my mothers and called the police back. I told them that I thought nobody was going to be there and that I wanted to talk with my attorney before I went back. Shortly two officers appeared and said I had broken the restraing order and they took me to jail. Come to find out it was a good thing that I hadn't got any of my belongings. A friend of hers that didn't think it was right told my mother what had been planned. She beforehand had planted drugs and objects used for drugs in my clothing, my suitcase, and briefcase. She then brought the police in said these things were mine and they were waiting for me to get my stuff and then they would arrest me. Her friend had told my mother that if I was arrested my exgirlfriend thought she would then get my house and belongings. I still have one pair of pants, one shirt, one pair of underwear and socks and one pair of boots. It has been a few days short of one month. She has moved in her daughter and her boyfriend, she has been told by the county attorney that my house is basically hers now. She thinks it is her house and she has no intention of moving. Her friend has told us that she said she will do whatever it takes to send me to jail so she can have everything of mine. Yesterday she called the fire marshall to try to condemn my house(it is in the middle of remodeling). I have witnesses that will testify that she said that she was the aggressor and that I was just defending myself, she told the two policemen that when they arrested me the first time. But I am afraid of what she will do, both to me and to me belongings and home. It makes me sick, she has already gotten rid of my cat who I had for years. My job won't put up with much more of this. I need some help on how to proceed, I am not getting acceptable results from the attorney I hired but I can't afford to get another. If you can't help do you know who I can contact or where I go to get help to get her out of my house and to counter these allegations. Also do I have anything to worry about with the planting of illegal substances or anything else she can think up? Do I have any recourse in holding her responsible for damages both to my property and my name?
Thank You Sincerly, Me in Iowa

A

alavah

I feel for you. Your not an ortberg too are you? If you are then welcome to the club. it seems that I have the same type of problem. sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">