• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child assaulted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

my 10 yr. old grandson was assaulted and beaten by a 20 yr. old man who is now facing a hearing and possible trial. My grandson was already under psychiatric care and on medication for severe depression after being abandoned by his father and mom having a messy divorce. We don't want him to have to testify against this man and have been told by his dr. that this would be detrimental to his mental condition at this time. We want the doctor to write a statment to that effect and present it and a deposition from my grandson in court instead, but are told that this is not legal in the state of Missouri. Is this true? Is there a way to prosecute this man without my grandson having to appear in court? We are told that he would have to give testimony in the courtroom in front of the man that beat and kicked him (not even in the judge's chambers). The police have pictures and other evidence, is it really necessary to have a child that has already been through so much, now have to appear in court? His mental state right now is extremely fragile. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We go to the prelimiary hearing in a week. Help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">