• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

himself

I live in Pennsylvania. My father deeded his house to me in April, 2000. He passed away March, 2002. He lived in the home up to the time of his death. His wishes were for me to sell the house and divide the money between my six siblings and me. Will I have to pay capital gains on the sell of the house? The approx. value of the house is 50,000. Thank you for any help you can give me.

L

loku

If he delivered the deed to you in April 2000, and there were no conditions to your ownership, then the gift of the house was made at that time. In that case, ff the fair market value of the property was greater than your father’s adjusted basis, your basis is your father's adjusted basis at the time you received the gift (basically that would be the cost of the home to your father plus the cost of any improvements he made to it.) In this case, you personally would have a taxable capital gain from the sale of the property equal to the excess of the sales price over your basis.

When you distribute the $50,000 to your six siblings, there would be no gift tax because each of them would be getting less than the $11,000 annual exclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">