• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI Pending- bootheel of Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

P. Finney

Hello, just last nite 3/23/2002 while I was driving my truck I began to have a low sugar attack (diabetic) so as I was reaching into my coat pocket for a sucker with chewing gum I went into a deep ditch and was stuck around 8 pm.

Earlier that afternoon around 6:30 pm I had drank a couple of beers and for the previous two days or so I had not been able to sleep because of chronic pain ( disabled vet.) so I was also very tired.

I got out of my truck and locked it up, while getting out of the ditch I lost my keys.

When I started to walk down a county gravel road a man stopped and asked if I was ok because he saw my truck in the ditch and I said that I was. He said that he would call a tow truck for me and I said that I'd take care of it tomorrow. I asked him for a ride to the main road but he was going the other way.

I continued walking and was about 1/2 mile away from my truck and a state trooper stopped me to ask what I was doing and I told him that I was walking home unless I got a ride and he asked if the truck in the ditch was mine and I said yes then another police car pulled up.

The trooper asked if I had been drinking and I said yes a couple earlier. He asked me to get into his car and took my drivers lisc. then told me to take a pre breath test and I did while I was still chewing the gum. Then he told me to get out of the car and put cuffs on me and said I was under arrest. He had asked me to do some other test but I said that I had nothing to say until I talked with an attorney.

He took me to the police station and let me call an attorney and waited for about 20 minutes without a return call. He told me that I had to give a urine sample and I said ok and that I'd like to give a blood sample also but instead of doing that he had me sign a form saying that I refused to test because I would not say anything else without an attorney first.

He then fingered printed me and took my picture then left and the jailer said I was being locked up for 20 hours and I would get out at about 5:20 pm. and I did.

This is my first dwi charge and it doesn't seem like this is right does anyone know a good attorney here in the bootheel of Missouri, Please help

J

jingle55

boothill keepin' on

Hey bud,
I'm from MO too, but I'm on Guam learnin' aMerika's rules.
Being a diabetic or slightly drunk and/or high doesn't mean much to the cop or the Judge. Evidence, such as field sobriety tests, open conainers, and self incriminating possibilities convict.
Once you were out of the car, you were in the clear because it was not obvious you were driving it.
The cops don't actually want to arrest us. It's just that they have the job of enforcing laws. Help them out. Don't give them the testimony and evidence they need to detain you, (with handcuffs), just answer thier questions in a simple way
I imagine that if I were you I'd look for an attorney because the cheapest DUI is 1500 or more. And I'd ather pay 2 grand to a lawyers backyard than the courts stupidity(public defender).

H

Humble Warrior

It all depends on the BAT/BAC......that is the determining factor.
I too, have blood-sugar problems(I"m Hypo-glycemic.....the exact opposite of you),and our bodies do not process alcohol the same as a "normal" person.
A diabetic person, in the throws of an attack, often has the smell of alcohol....you need to be DAMN sure of your BAC/BAT result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">