• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Niecy7269

My family and I live in a small town in Kansas where the cops seem to outnumber the rest of us. My brother and his friends are 18-20 yr's of age and we all feel that they are being harassed by the police department.

They have been pulled over more than once, thrown up against their cars, humiliated, searched verbally harassed, and had the K-9 unit search their vehicles.

Each time, the police have found nothing, and they have had "NO" reason to pull them over! On the last occassion, the police claim that they had a tip from a reliable source that my brother and his friends had something illegal on them, which was totally false, again the police found nothing.

On another occasion, they were driving to the gas station at midnight and the police told them that they could not be out at that time. I did not know their were laws against an adult being out on the road at night!

I think they are being targeted because the police department is bored and has nothing better to do. My brother and his friends have lost all respect for the police department with good reason!

My question is: Can we sue the police department for harassment or is this a difficult process?

We are appreciate any help!

P

peter

Are they Black, Indian, Asians or another nationality then you would have a case.

Being white gives you less rights...sorry

But if you want to file a complaint it is your right as an American to do so.

D

DrunkN_MastR

I think that would be so f#cked up if you turned this into a racial thing... police will harass youngsters (of any race) to a certain limit to sort of keep them in check, and moreso if they get a tip that they are carrying something... if they were physically hurt then I think you would have a solid case

W

WIEMT

I think it would be well in your rights to file a complaint with the town board or village board. Make sure you have the names of the officers who are harassing your brother. You may also get some relief from the Chief of Police. They should have logs and recordings at the dispatch center for everytime he was pulled over. Also they can deny the Police to search their vehicle if they don't have probable cause. And if they attempt to get a K9 officer, it has to be within a "reasonable amount of time". If you go to a village board meeting and can show a consistant pattern of harassment they can discipline the officers involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">