• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College educators

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmorton

Ohio. As a student employed by a university under work study to help pay for college I was told that no children were allowed in the computer labs.
On one occassion I informed an instructor that there were children in the lab and she refused to ask them to leave (i didn't have that kind of power) so I went to the head of the department who told the instructor that for liability reasons the children were not allowed in the labs.
The instuctor told the mother to take the children out of the lab, but then informed the mother that I was the one who had her thrown out (the instructor knew this was university policy and not a personal vendetta against the mother, I didn't even know this women) this peticular instructor and I had had a clash earlier in the semester.
To make a long story shot, by telling the mother that I had had her removed this person physically attacked me while leaving the campus.:eek: campus police were called and the officer, once finding out all the facts blamed the professor for the confrontation. The assult happened 2 weeks before finals in the last semester of my bachelor degree and I have since found out that all the students in her class received an "a" minus.
I had to take the finals in a seperate room and was not allowed to find out what was going to be on the final, so getting an "a" minus along with all the others was a hollow victory. I had carried a 3.8 since my freshman year. I had been to the dean about the instructor when I first started having difficulties with the instructor and was asked to just wait it out so I could graduate. he knew exactly what the problems were with this person, in fact his comment to me was "she is the case against tenure"
Before this incident I was being looked at for employment with the university after the incident the head of the department wouldn't even discuss it with me. do i have any kind of a case against the university?

Last edited:

vrzirn

This is the real world!
Much like a medical residency or any other kind of internship there are many things that occur that are against the rules. As a lowly underling, you are not the police. You most definitely overstepped your bounds by going over the instructor's head-whether she was right or wrong.
You made her look bad in front of her boss. You had already had a clash with her and she was in a position to "get even". You should have kept your mouth shut!! She saw the kids and if she chose not to confront the mother it was none of your business. It is not as if they were smashing the monitors with a hammer.
Your business was to do your work, repair your relationship with her, try to get an A and remember you had a "real" job at stake.
Now you have a reputation as a trouble-maker and no job.
This reply is the condensed version of "getting on in the real world-#501. It is the pre-requisite for #502-"power is earned".
Unfortunately, they are electives you did not take.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">