• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination within nonprofit organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

graytm8

I belong to a homeschool support group that discriminates against men belonging and/or participating. In an effort to change the way things are done (the leadership team handpicks the leadership team, i.e. no elections which therefore allows the feminazi's in charge to exclude men) the members at the last meeting voted to elect the officers instead. The problem is that this organization, that collects yearly dues, has never used the standard of Robert's Rules when conducting their meetings. They do not present minutes, vote on items/issues/expenditures or elections. Now the "leadership" has decided that they will not recognize the members votes at the last meeting. While their by-laws do not state that men are not allowed, they have verbally said so and have historically excluded men. They claim to be a support group for homeschooling moms only, except that this contradicts their mission statement and by-laws. My question is this, shouldn't an organization that :
1) Collects dues from it's members
2) has written by-laws
3) is considered a non-profit organization
be required to subscribe to certain rules and regulations? Are they free to conduct their meetings/business/appointment of officers in any manner without regard for the wishes of the members? Aside from urging the members do withdraw from the organization if they do not agree with the "powers that be", what recourse do the members have? I feel as if I inadvertently joined a "male haters social club" under the guise of being an organization which "furnish(es) information and support to home educationg families" as quoted in their mission statement.

V

Vincent Cosent

Sounds kinda like a church orginization!

As long as they receive no state or federal funding I would think they can do what they want unless there are state guidelines concerning in home schooling requirements. Which there may be.
Im sure there must be laws concerning not for profit orginizations
And not following there own by laws may be open to challange in court to. Heck i'm just a dum old factory worker though so what do I know. See an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">