• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get lease out of abusive boyfriends name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luvgill

state of georgia
My daughters boyfriend was arrested at their apartment for simple battery against her. He can not come back to the apartment or make contact with her until he goes to court. both of their names are on the lease. She wants out of the relationship, and she needs a place to live. She has asked him to remove himself or agree to remove her from the lease (joint lease). She would like to stay there without him. He will not give her an answer then tells her it will be long time before this is settled. He is trying to control her. The leaseing office say that can not do anything. Any suggestions on how she can move on without him, and get him off the lease or to get herself removed? I think she made a mistake by telling him she would like to stay in the apartment.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by luvgill:
state of georgia
My daughters boyfriend was arrested at their apartment for simple battery against her. He can not come back to the apartment or make contact with her until he goes to court. both of their names are on the lease. She wants out of the relationship, and she needs a place to live. She has asked him to remove himself or agree to remove her from the lease (joint lease). She would like to stay there without him. He will not give her an answer then tells her it will be long time before this is settled. He is trying to control her. The leaseing office say that can not do anything. Any suggestions on how she can move on without him, and get him off the lease or to get herself removed? I think she made a mistake by telling him she would like to stay in the apartment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he will not agree to move out, she should. When does the fixed term of the lease end?

C

Chrissy31

I have just gone through a similar situation in PA. I went to court and recieved a protection from abuse order which evicted him from the lease. The lease was only in his name and still he was evicted. I had a huge problem with the landlord who did not want me on the premises. He even threatened to make the place unlivable. I went back to the Judge and he signed another order restraining the landlord from the property. I did not want to live there, I just wanted some time to get myself together. We have a 7 year old together. I only stayed about 3 weeks in the house and I agreed to move in a timely fashion. I did that. I did not have to pay any rent and I got to keep the stuff in the apartment because I had gained ownership of the household goods when the Judge signed the PFA. Now I have my stuff in storage and I not only walked out of this relationship after 9 years with my life, I didn't have to walk away with nothening. I wish your daughter all the best, and my prayer are with her. All this has just taken place within the last 4 week, so I know exactly what she is going through....Good Luck

S

starpatch04

I am going thru that now in IL and he was just an occupant but with the order of protection he was withdrawn from the lease

Good Luck and please wish me the same Stuff like this puts the victim thru hell of all kinds

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">