• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being placed on an "improvement plan"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elemteach4

I am a teacher in a public school in Mississippi. I was informed yesterday by the principal, who is new to our school this year, that I am being placed on an improvement plan due to low test scores from my students for the last 4 years. What he failed to take into consideration is the fact that for the last four years, the majority of my students came to me in 3rd grade functioning at least one grade level below where they should be. Many of those students were functioning on kindergarten level!
What would happen if I refused to agree to abide by this plan? What are my legal rights? According to the Director of the Office of Accreditation in the MS Dept. of Ed., a teacher's students have to show gains from one year to the next, but the law doesn't say just how much gain has to be shown. Do I have a right to demand that test scores be pulled from my former students' 2nd grade year and be compared to test scores from the year that I taught them?

Thanks for your help!

E

Ernest Teague

I am a ex-retired teacher (32) years. I just read your message on the computer. My only comment is that I feel sorry for you as it appears that this administrator has an axe to grind and you appear to be the target. What I would do is say, :Thank you as I'm sure that there are other staff members that are receiving the same type of help!!! Many of the administrators are totally out of the picture.:(

E

elemteach4

If only it were that simple. I met with him first thing this morning to ask them to compare test scores to see if there was or was not a gain. He said "Sure, we can do that". But, we haven't yet. He mentioned that he was being "forced" to do this to cover his behind. REALLY made me angry. Guess it's time to practice saying "Welcome to Walmart" because I have NO intentions of signing a contract to work in that school district for another year.
I will complete my Master's in Elem. Ed. in May of next year and maybe then I can teach at a Jr. college.

E

elemteach4

vrzirn,
Unfortunately in Mississippi, elementary and secondary teachers are not tenured. I also do not belong to a union at this time. However, you can rest assured that if I continue to teach after this year, I will belong to one of the teacher unions.

vrzirn

If this improvement plan involves time outside of your contract hours ask for extra pay. If it will be during your contract hours then go with the flow.
You are doing your best but I am sure you have heard the phrase, "Garbage in, garbage out". So just play the game until you are in a solid position to quit. Keep cool and get a good reference.
When the subject arises again, nicely repeat your request to have the scores compared.
Join the union so you will have some degree of protection.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">