• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never seen or heard..but convicted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnnaMarie

I was arrested for D.U.I. I hired an attorney that did'nt have the time to represent me in trial. He quit 2 weeks before my court date. I was reimbursed all monies paid. I then hired my 2nd. attorney. On the day of my trial he never summond either of my medical witnesses. He then received a continuance told me that I would need to pay him an additional $1,400.00. I could'nt so he quit and refused to give me back the fee he charged to defend me. I had no money left and was then given a public defender. It is office policy there to only schedule appointments with council one week before your court appearance. The day before trial I found out that he had'nt even spoke to my witnesses.Another court date set and I find out that my witnesses have been summond to appear the day AFTER my trial. I fire him..borrow money to hire attorney number 4. He sounds very competent and I lay it all in his hands. He tells me that it is well known in the legal circle that my judge has never allowed a d.u.i. case to win in his court but he will do his best. On the morning of my trial I call my M.D. and am informed that he had just gotten the subpeona 3 days before and cannot possibly cancel all his appointments in such short notice. I appear in court with a prosecutor that is sick of all the delays and I am scared to death. My attorney tells me that if I want to proceed with trial he is ready!! I ask him how? Then he informs me of the really reasonable plea-bargain that has been offered to me. I refused to agree to use the word guilty and plead no contest to a crime I was innocent of.I have paid $4,00.00 in a defense that never was,court cost,fines and spent two days in jail.Never once did I get to speak with the judge that convicted me. I have proof and records of what I say is true. Do I have any recourse or is this the way or legal system is set up in Washington county,Arkansas?

D

dsut

Well, you fail to answer the miost important question of all- did you or did you NOT do it? You should be aware that when you plead "no contest" that you are not pleading guilty, but you are not contesting the charges. hich pretty much means that you're pleading guilty. Wether you are or arn't, well only time will tell.

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

D

dsut

BTW, I don't know what the state bar association does in your state, but in mine (which ain't yours, I'm sure of), the lawyer cannot withdraw from the case, after accepting the retainer, UNLESS it is agreed by BOTH the defendant and the lawyer. The client can, on the other hand, fire the lawyer. But it still takes a court recognition for that to happen, I think.

Do two things, I say. The first is contact the state bar association. And then contact the state attorney general's office. Get complaint forms from them and go through the process. If you can't find the number for either of them, call the local justice court and they should have it.

Just some ideas and procedures. Up to you what you do.

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

A

AnnaMarie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dsut:
Well, you fail to answer the miost important question of all- did you or did you NOT do it? You should be aware that when you plead "no contest" that you are not pleading guilty, but you are not contesting the charges. hich pretty much means that you're pleading guilty. Wether you are or arn't, well only time will tell.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A

AnnaMarie

dsut you fail to read that I DID write that I was innocent of this charge.

[This message has been edited by m martin (edited August 15, 2000).]

A

AnnaMarie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AnnaMarie:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do appreciate your help with these ideas though.

[This message has been edited by AnnaMarie (edited August 11, 2000).]

D

dsut

Well AnnaMarie, in a way you did answer it. Not in those exact words though. By your response, I think you are guilty. And no, you did NOT say that you are/aren't guilty. You told of your plea. But, as I said, your mose of response answered that with ease. Congratulate the judge for me, will you?

------------------

[This message has been edited by m martin (edited August 15, 2000).]

A

AnnaMarie

dsut..where did you learn to read? I said I pled no contest to a charge that I am innocent of. Why do you find such pleasure in coming to a board under the pretense of helping people with info..when all you are doing is a really bad job of trying to impress anyone with your brilliance and upright morals.It doesn't fool me.A person that writes like you do has something to hide.Now please leave my message area alone so that I can speak with someone that knows and still believes in what this forum was started for.

D

dsut

Well well. I looked it over, AGAIN, and I'll be. You DID say that you're innocent, but I had missed. My sincere apologies.

As for your response, complain to IAAL, Tracey or whoever runs this board. I'm not hiding anything. And I don't care for your insults. Which, I may add, have begun after my first response to you. Get a life, and change your attitude, dearie!

------------------

N

njc

SHE'S the one that needs to get a life? HER insults are bothering YOU? Mighty thin-skinned when someone turns the tables on YOU. When someone has an opinion reharding YOUR behavior. Why don't you just leave her message alone and if you don't like criminals why don't you just stay off the criminal board and deposit your gems of wisdom elsewhere?

A

AnnaMarie

njc...I feel bad that you got into this with dsut...but I also want to say thank-you. I'm a tad bit overwhelmed by always having to defend myself lately. I did'nt want to come back to this board...but was hoping that maybe someone else had posted something for me other than dsut. I appreciated you going to bat for me and hope someday someone will do the same for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">