• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terrorized by attempted break-in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

young mom

My husband and I were awakened at 4a.m. to very loud banging and pounding. My husband ran to investigate and I ran to get our 5 month old baby from her crib. My husband and I witnessed a man trying to pound his way into first our front door with his fists, then full body pounding and shaking of our doorknobs, then the side door and then at our patio door off our kitchen. It was at this time that we realized this man was very intoxicated and my husband tried to yell to the man to leave our property at which time the man stood staring at us through the glass door in a very intimidating way and "flipping us the bird". When my husband started for the door, the man reached behind him as if he were grabbing a gun or other weapon and my husband backed away and told me to take the baby to the bedroom closet and stay there. My husband called 911 and we waited in total terror for 10 minutes as the man continued to attempt entry into our home,banging and trying to break the glass on our patio door. As the police arrived , my husband saw the man begin to run down the road and directed police. The police chased and eventually caught the man hiding in some bushes. The police came back to our house and told us they caught him and "he's just drunk and has had a bad day" and "we know this guy and he comes from a very good family". Much to our surprise, the man was not arrested and the police actually gave him a ride home. After questioning the police the following day about why the man was not arrested, we were told they don't have anything to charge him with. They said an attempted breaking and entering would require that he had his hand or head literally inside our home. We questioned police about such things as drunk and disorderly, public intoxication, disturbing the peace, and trespassing, and of course terrorizing us....to which we were told they had no grounds, and we would have to prove intent. ?????????? Doesn't that fact that he ran from police somewhat give a clue to the man's intent. I mean, he knew enough to run from law enforcement! We believe that this is a case of police simply letting the guy go because they know him and of course we are furious. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Thanks P.S. We live in Michigan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">