• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased vehicle, owner can't supply title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bparks6969

ok, i purchased a vehicle from a private owner, everything looked good, i gave him the money.I asked for the title which he initially told me he had in his posession, and he said it was at the title company, and it would be back in 2-3 days. 2 months later no title, no callbacks, and no answer when I call.i went to my local D.A. in consumer fraud, she's contacting him.Basically she said our options would be to press charges, or see about obtaining a "quiet title", which is my question, what is a quiet title, and if this does go to court, where ultimately i would like to get my money back, what can I expect, what are my options?

D

dsut

There is a term that would fit this very well- "Buyer beware". I am curious though. The owner told you that the title, to a motor vehicle, was a title company? Title companies are for real estate titles. Did you get a bill of sale? If so then in most states all that would be needed is for you to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you want your money back, expect to surrender the vehicle.

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

B

bparks6969

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dsut:
There is a term that would fit this very well- "Buyer beware". I am curious though. The owner told you that the title, to a motor vehicle, was a title company? Title companies are for real estate titles. Did you get a bill of sale? If so then in most states all that would be needed is for you to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you want your money back, expect to surrender the vehicle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE!
IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION, I MEANT A CCOMPANY WHICH DOES WORK ON AUTO TITLES FOR YOU, BASICALLY THE MIDDLE MAN.HE SAID THAT THE CAR WAS IN HE AND ANOTHER PERSON'S NAME AND HE HAD SENT OFF FOR THE OTHER PERSON'S NAME TO BE REMOVED.(I REALIZE IT SOUNDS REALLY FISHY IN RETROSPECT, I SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT IN THE BEGINNING)

D

dsut

Way cool bsparks! Let me know how it turns out, ok?

------------------
I ain't a lawyer. I ain't a copper. I'm a true blue American that believes in Freedom for all. Provided they ain't criminals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">