• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Barry Nice

My girlfriend and I are selling 2 properties and buying one together. Because of some credit issues, I am going to be the only one on the financing, but she will be on the title with me. If she gifts me $40k from the equity of her house sale towards the new house, am I going to be taxed on the gift? Or because she is a partial owner on the property, would there be no tax? We are in Texas.

L

loku

If she is on the title with you as a co-owner, then the money she puts into the deal is payment for her share of the property, except to the extent that it exceeds the cost of her half of the property. For example, if the total down payment on the property is $60,000, then her half would be $30,000. The Extra $10,000 would be either a gift to you or a loan to you. It would be a loan if you agreed to make $10,000 more of the payments then she would. If it is a gift under $11,000, there is no gift tax and no requirement for a gift tax return. If it is a loan, there is no tax.

However you decide to handle this, put it into a written agreement that both of you sign.

B

Barry Nice

Thanks for the information. Coincidentally that is the amount we are going to be putting down and that seems like a great way to put it together. Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">